Eric is a learning futurist, tinkering with and designing technologies that may better inform the future of teaching and learning. Eric is president and research coordinator of MAVR, a research group working in immersive technologies for teaching and learning, and more specifically, augmented and virtual realities in language learning. Eric's day job is at the Kyoto University of Foreign Studies where he teaches courses and conducts research on issues related to technology in tourism and education. Eric also leads a team of interactive media designers for TEDxKyoto. His passion project, ARientation is an award winning, free-to-use, privacy-by-design augmented learning platform to rapid prototype augmented learning environments, also aiming to spread awareness of increasing aggressive data collection models using immersive technology. Eric's other projects have included augmented tourism rallies, AR community art exhibitions, mixed reality escape rooms, and other experiments in immersive technology.
To understand the factors and technologies reshaping how humans happily teach, learn, work, and grow.
• Open Knowledge - Free and open access to information is a foundation to a productive modern life, connected to ideas of the open web and platform agnosticism.
• Privacy by Design - Business models are increasing moving toward supporting revenue by collecting, curating, and trading behavioral surplus through technology. These models should be tempered with safety, ethics, and privacy concerns and designed as such.
• Digital Literacy for All - An informed public about the use of technology is key for a responsible and engaged digital society.
• The Future of Teaching and Learning
• Immersive Learning Deisgn
• Augmented and Virtual Learning Development
• Designing Mixed Reality Learning Environments
• Digital Citizenship, Privacy, and Ethics
• Digital and Immersive Tourism
• AR/VR/MR/XR Research
• Automation in Teaching and Learning
Working with districts, schools, and companies to best design and deploy technology for teaching and learning
Developing and implementing augmented and virtual learning environments
Public outreach on issues in schools and society from immersive technology integration
Experience Japan like you've lived here forever
- with immersive media and human stories from the land of the rising sun. Immersive media content from Kyoto and Japan to explore such as VR videos, augmented reality tours, and 360 photos from places of interest. Started in 2011 to gather English language user generated content on the less visited areas of Kyoto, has now expanded into a mix of new media projects to promote Japan and it's less known beauty and culture to the world.
Together Learning is an immersive and e-learning learning sandbox. We develop, test, research, and share digital learning content. It started in 2009 as a place to test and develop language learning content, web based software, and LMS platforms. It now has become a place for learning technologists and learners a like to share digital learning content. We are all learning together here, as new technologies facilitate.
Teams of teachers supporting each other
because education is a team effort
There are going to be a ton of teachers at all levels teaching online classes for the first time starting this year and I hope to provide some insight, tools, and support to those teachers. Here you will find some basic information on online learning theories, introductions to popular online learning tools, and some tips for first time online teachers.
Authored and co-authored books to capstone large works
Academic publications for the advance of immersive learning and teaching
SXSW, TEDx, IEEE, and other special invited talks around the world
Leading the way with innovative and award winning projects and research
Explore the 'why' in each of us to better communicate with teams and engage with communities
Finding a north star to guide us into the future and supporting each other in moving toward it.
Travel the world, exploring communities alive with stories and experiences in virtual reality.
Expedient feedback, reward for failure, agency in approach and other wonderful traits of games are big influences in my learning designs.
web page was made with Mobirise web templates